Wednesday, February 15, 2006

It's hard to live strong

A little over a year ago, during winter study, I put on a Livestrong wristband. Rebecca sent it to me, and I put it on. That was great. I wore it for about two weeks. Then it disappeared. I searched everywhere for it, and then I gave up and asked Rebecca to send me a new one. I tied that one to my wrist with dental floss, which succeeded in getting it to stay on, but looked stupid and induced me to fiddle with it all the time.

So I bought a child size wristband, and put it on, and didn't take it off for a year. Actually, I never took it off. It just disappeared one day during winter study. Poof! It was there one time when I checked, and the next time, it was gone.

No matter, I thought, it was nice to wear the same one for a year without taking it off, but now that it's gone I'll just put on another one. I had two, so I put one of them on. That one only lasted a week. It too disappeared without a trace.

So at that point, I only had one child size wristband left, so I didn't put it on. I didn't wear any wristband for about two weeks. I felt bad. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to use up my last child size wristband, which would certainly disappear in this season of switching clothes often and gloves and multiple layers.

Eventually it occurred to me that I could wear an adult-size wristband, because I have a large surplus of those, so if one disappears, so much for that. So this is what I am doing now. It's annoying after all those months of one that fit, and it's sad that I lost the one that I had worn for a year, lost without a trace, but at least I am wearing one. Not that anyone cares other than me. But I care. And one day, I will take off the adult-size wristband and put on a child-size wristband, and then everything will be perfect, at least in the area of my wrist.

No comments: