Monday, March 13, 2006

My big empty room

My parents asked for pictures of my room a long time ago, so now that they're leaving for a week or two and won't have Internet access, I'll finally get around to posting pictures of it.



Here is my bed. I was lucky to find that the bed in my new room was as insanely high as the one in the room I inhabited during winter study, so that I didn't have to do anything to get it up there. I have various things under the bed, such as a snow tube and a box full of thirty plastic bags, because you never know when you might throw them away and then suddenly need thirty plastic bags the next day.

Over my bed I have a self-identified "decorative map" of my region of Maine that my parents sent me while I was at Mystic. People look at it and try to find the place in Maine where they visit in the summer. I try to convince them that it covers a very, very small region of Maine, but to no avail. They keep trying. If you look at the size of Deer Isle on a map of all of Maine and you compare it to the size of Deer Isle on this map, you will see how small a region this map actually covers. On the bright side, every tiny island off of Deer Isle appears on the map, including the one that Bunny owns.

Kathryn gave me a SEA poster of the Cramer. That was nice of her. I also have my inspirational running essay, my inspirational running poster, and my inspirational Academic Progress Report, for inspirational purposes. And a picture of the cutest five-year-old nephew in the world. I wouldn't have to be so specific, except that my three-year-old nephew is also very cute. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of him on my wall.



Turning about 120° to the right, you see my rolling wardrobe. This room is big enough so that I can fit the bed and the wardrobe in the room and still have the drawers open! Wow. Here I have my inspirational decorative map of Phillips Exeter and my inspirational poster of potential perimeter-minimizing curves in sectors of Gauss space. You will also note my wonderful heater, where I have complete control over the temperature of my room. It's wonderful. And when I feel lonely and scared in the middle of the night, I can -- what? reach for the teddy bear? -- no, turn up the heat and listen to the comforting gurgling noises.



Now we have turned another 60° to see the other side of the room head-on. The shiny curved things on the wall in this picture do not exist in real life; they are merely digital ghosts. Do not be alarmed. In the corner you see the shoebox, which is the box where I put my shoes. On the wall you can see part of my art gallery, which began in the previous picture. I printed multiple 8x10 pictures from my photography class so that I could decorate my barren walls.

On the floor you will see the floor rug that I purchased from Sean. I purchased this rug when someone suggested that I should get a dog to fill up the empty space in my empty room. The rug does not work very well to fill up the space, but I don't like dogs and it does fill up some of the visual space. Not that "visual space" actually exists and can be full or empty to any variable degree, of course.



Now we turn another 60° and move back a bit (to eliminate glare) and see the best part of the art gallery. This part of my room isn't very interesting, other than the art gallery and the six even numbers stuck to my door -- not very interesting, that is, unless you click on the image and look at the big version.

Then you can see that at the top of my door I have these four pictures that I cut out of Math Horizons magazine. You can't really see the two on the left (which are of Fibonacci and Botticelli's Venus) but you can tell that the two on the right are Michaelangelo's David and the Mona Lisa. If you look at them up close, they don't look like that at all; David is made of tubes of two colors, and the Mona Lisa is made of 10,000 dots connected by lines in a way that is a sort of solution to the Traveling Salesman Problem.

It's not called Diana's Mathy Blog for nothing.

No comments: