Tuesday, March 07, 2006

An inappropriate title

By the way, the title given to my Letter to the Editor last week was "Ski Team Skit Insensitive." I think this is an inaccurate characterization of the tone of the letter. Let me explain.

If you called someone "African-American" when you knew they preferred to be called "Black," that would be insensitive. If you used the N-word, that would require a stronger word than merely "insensitive." "Inappropriate," perhaps, or "unacceptable" or "unconscionable," because in this case you knew it was wrong and you did it anyway, just for the effect it would have. This is the same way I feel about the ski team skit.

I am very much looking forward to the next issue of the Record tomorrow (Thursday) to see if the ski team has anything to say. I would totally fight them. Division I athletes? No problem. I will crush you with the sheer force of my intellect.

No comments: