Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Flapjacks

As I mentioned in my previous post about the Witney 10, after the race I purchased and ate a large homemade granola bar. However, said purchase was not without a cultural exchange.

"How much are those?" I asked, pointing towards a plate that contained sugar cookies and large homemade granola bars.

"The flapjacks are 1.50, and the shortbreads are 50p."

Hmmm. In my opinion, the plate contained neither flapjacks nor shortbreads. I figured that the flapjacks were probably the flat things (cookies) and the shortbreads were probably the little loaf things (granola bars).

"Okay, may I have a shortbread?" She reached for a sugar cookie. "Uh, no, one of those." I pointed to the granola bars. "Oh, you want a flapjack."

"Those are called flapjacks?"

And to think that the world's canonical dictionary, the OED, was written by the people who gave these names to baked goods.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that a food considered healthy in America is a buttery, sugary, comfort food in the UK: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/mar/10/how-to-cook-perfect-flapjacks

Seems like flapjacks use butter and sugar and golden syrup (treacle) rather than honey.

Did yours have nuts or raisins? How does the British version compare in taste?

Diana said...

Mine was just oats and sticky stuff, just the thing for inhaling after a 15-mile run. I do consider granola bars to be sort of like cookies, though if done properly they can be more healthful.